Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Bye-bye Britain. It was nice knowing you.


From the Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030798/Muslims-outraged-police-advert-featuring-cute-puppy-sitting-policemans-hat.html
Muslims outraged at police advert featuring cute puppy sitting in policeman's hat

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:15 PM on 01st July 2008


A postcard featuring a cute puppy sitting in a policeman's hat advertising a Scottish police force's new telephone number has sparked outrage from Muslims.


Tayside Police's new non-emergency phone number has prompted complaints from members of the Islamic community.

The choice of image on the Tayside Police cards - a black dog sitting in a police officer's hat - has now been raised with Chief Constable John Vine.


Tayside Police caused uproar in the Muslim community after they released this advertisement featuring police puppy Rebel sitting in a hat

The advert has upset Muslims because dogs are considered ritually unclean and has sparked such anger that some shopkeepers in Dundee have refused to display the advert.

Dundee councillor Mohammed Asif said: 'My concern was that it's not welcomed by all communities, with the dog on the cards.


'It was probably a waste of resources going to these communities.


'They (the police) should have understood. Since then, the police have explained that it was an oversight on their part, and that if they'd seen it was going to cause upset they wouldn't have done it.'


Councillor Asif, who is a member of the Tayside Joint Police Board, said that the force had a diversity adviser and was generally very aware of such issues.

He raised the matter with Mr Vine at a meeting of the board.





Tayside Police Chief Constable John Vine said the advert was not intended to cause any offence. The chief constable said he was unaware of the concerns and that the force had not sought to cause any upset but added he would look into the matter.




Councillor Asif said: 'People who have shops just won't put up the postcard. But the police have said to me that it was simply an oversight and they did not seek to offend or upset.'

Cards featuring police dog-in-training Rebel have been distributed to communities throughout the area to advertise the single number point of contact for non-emergency calls to the police.

Rebel has proved a popular recruit for Tayside Police after coming through the very first Lothian and Borders Police dog-breeding programme in February.


One of seven German Shepherd pups born in early December, he has now completed his course of inoculations, and is free to venture out onto the streets of Tayside.

A spokesman for Tayside Police said: 'Trainee police dog Rebel has proved extremely popular with children and adults since being introduced to the public, aged six weeks old, as Tayside Police's newest canine recruit.

'His incredible world-wide popularity - he has attracted record visitor numbers to our website - led us to believe Rebel could play a starring role in the promotion of our non-emergency number.

'We did not seek advice from the force's diversity adviser prior to publishing and distributing the postcards. That was an oversight and we apologise for any offence caused.'

A note from Radarsite: 'We did not seek advice from the force's diversity adviser prior to publishing and distributing the postcards. That was an oversight and we apologise for any offence caused.'

Listen closely, folks. This is the sound of a nation falling. It is a frightful sound, one that I never believed that I'd live to hear. It is the sickening sound of surrender. It is that same shameful and sickening sound we heard from Vichy France in 1940.
Worse than surrender, it is abject submission and cowardly collaboration.

Can this be that same courageous Britain of the Blitz? Can this be that same valiant nation who withstood the daily privations of the U-boat blockades and the devastations of a Dunkirk? Are these, then, the weak-kneed grandchildren of those tough, brave Tommies? What, I wonder, would Winston say?

Bye-bye Britain. it was nice to know you.

12 comments:

  1. OH what the Heck Britain Just Drop your Skivvies and roll over and change your stripes to YELLOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to see this handled by Monty Python with a Gilbert & Sullivan theme.
    Frankly, I'd mercilessly bombard these barbarians with humor. They don't understand it and have neither regard nor defense against it.
    Then, I guess, we'd have humor as a hate crime. Oh, I guess it's already a misdemeanor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something is definetly rotten in Denamrk (or GB) and nobody cares...sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a sad time for our British cousins. I won't even venture a guess as to what will become of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I must also add this brief comment.
    Although I hope it's not that necessary to explain, I would like to say that I find no joy at all in writing disparagingly about Great Britain. In fact, my lifelong admiration for her is precisely why her seeming downfall is so disturbing to me -- and I would surmise, to a lot of my fellow Americans.

    However, as the old saying goes: Where there's life there's hope.
    So I'm still hoping.

    And I'm also hoping that we here in the US are smart enough to learn from her mistakes. - rg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if the Great Pedophile's fear of dogs stems from ever being bitten by one.

    I once was bitten as a child and went through the 22 rabis shots. But my parents bought me a dog and I got over my fear.

    That is a very cute puppy. I want it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I read this story this morning, I immediately thought of your site and of what this means for Great Britain. I spent the summer studying in London in 2000, and I have always wanted to visit Liverpool, as well as some of the countryside. It is so incredibly sad to see this happen.

    Incidentally, a high school classmate went to London during the summer of 2005 and was very near the bombings.

    Amazing what happens in five short years.

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  8. "The Great Pedophile" lolol.
    Sometimes I just love your comments Findalis! I'm sure glad you're on our side. lol
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again Lindsey. Yes, it is very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS: I love that puppy too. Only a Muslim could think of something bad to say about him. lol
    rg

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read this news this morning and i've made a post about in my blog....at first I thought it was a Big Joke, but I've checked a couple of UK newspaper and it's sadly the grim reality. Once upon a time Uk was a gret nation, noew it's on way to be a callifate.

    Dog aren't impure....ok sometime when i go in the mountain with my dog she loves to roll in the cow's poo and so she become "impure" but at first creek she isn't impure anymore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Roger, I agree that it is definitely heart-wrenching to see this happen in Britain. My grandfather was a "Lanksh'r Man", served in the British Marines.
    I remember the first poem he taught me; Two N's, two O's, an L and a D; put it together and spell it for me. "London".
    Not as Melanie Phillips and those of us who see it now as "Londonistan".

    ReplyDelete