Saturday, June 26, 2010

Oppose Unionization of Police & Firefighters

Gary Fouse
fousesquawk



"Whadda ya mean youse don't wanna join da union?"


I have received a message from the National Right to Work Committee alerting me to a proposed bill to put police and firefighters under union control. This is a bill that Harry Reid is trying to push through before November to please his union buddies. It is called the Police and Firefighters Monopoly Bargaining Bill (S 3194). The below link has a petition by which you can urge your senators to vote no.


http://www.righttoworkcommittee.org/pfactionfax.aspx

When I was a Customs Agent in the early 1970s, there was a move to bring us under a union (I think it was the AFL-CIO.) In an office meeting, one of our agents stated that if we, as law enforcement personnel, joined a union, we could never call ourselves professionals. I agreed with him then, and I agree with him now. The thought of police and firefighters being under the thumb of a union and engaging in strikes is abhorrent to me.

I hope you will sign the petition. Believe me, there are young staffers galore in Washington whose job it is to count the yeas and nays from their constituents

1 comment:

  1. I'm really sorry that you would write an article like this without have any of your facts correct. I am a retired fire lieutenant. I had 32 years in the fire service, 28 were spent as a proud member of International Association of Firefighters. I can not remember the exact year but sometime in the 1980's Illinois past a law that made it illegal for Police and Firefighters to engage in a strike. The law did however allow for binding arbitration to settle labor disputes between labor and management. It is not now nor has it ever been unprofessional to belong to an organized union. Please get your facts streight.

    Thanks
    Fire Lt. Retired

    ReplyDelete